Thursday, December 18, 2008

To shave or not to shave that is the question?



Picture it. The time was the 90's and I was young and smooth running around Morgantown with nothing to lose. Ya I was in college and was running around but when I am talking about being smooth it wasn't with the girls, I am talking about my legs. Back then all I did was ride and to show off my muscle legs I shaved. That was not the only reason, it was also the cool thing to do as a cyclist and it just plan looked and felt better.

So once again it been on my mind and I not sure if I am going to do it or not, so I decided to look up some good reasons to do or not to do it on the net and here are few examples I found.

1)Crashes. If you crash, it's easier to clean up the road rash and doesn't hurt as much taking off bandages.

2)Tradition. Road cyclists have been shaving their legs for decades.

3)Psychological Advantage. Having my legs shaved makes me feel even faster.

4)It Feels Better. I've found that when it's warm and I haven't shaved my legs, I get more bugs hanging out and biting me. I also don't like the feel of the wind on my hairy legs when descending at 50 mph. After a mountain bike race with mud bogs and and stream crossings, it's no fun standing in the parking lot with only a little water and trying to clean mud off hairy legs.

5)Massages. I've been told massage therapists can give smooth legs a better massage.

So there are some of the reasons people give for shaving. Are they all 100% true? I don't figure so but I will have to admit that it feels better and it sure does look better... Stay Tuned for any developments.

10 comments:

D-Pow said...

Your leaving out the big reason to shave your legs in WV. Ticks! Without leg hair the ticks can't grab onto you that easily.

chimichaga said...

well, you are as hairy as a bear, so maybe it might cut down on some wind-resistance :) but the first thing I think of when guys shave body hair is..... tinkerbell! retain your man-hood I say! :)

crs said...

Makes me feel sexy!!!!

Fat-Boy said...

This is Gina...you don't want to shave your face and you want to shave your legs! NNNOOOOOOO I don't want scratchy legs on me. PLEASE NO!

Anonymous said...

You might be a Mountain Biker if you shave your legs and not your face.

Anonymous said...

You might be a Mountain Biker if you shave your legs and not your face.

Joey and Mandi said...

My legs are hairy for the first time in ten years. It kinda feels nice especially on those cold rides. Besides I like petting them, its like having two new cats that go everywhere I go.

Jason said...

I get freaked out by hairy legs. I'm going on 6+ years "hair free". Just the site of hairy legs freaks me out. Chicks with beards don't even bother me as much. But alas, I've said too much.

aaron said...

I love bearded chicks.

I think there are rules for only shaving your legs if you race road in cat 4+ or ride Pinarello road bikes with ZIPP wheels on charity rides. Wait...does this mean we're gonna start seeing JR on a road bike?

Shaver said...

You're using my image without consent, or credit. Please remove.