Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Mother Nature Must Read My Blog.

Just two days ago I was saying in a post how much I wanted to get outside and ride. Well good ol' mother nature must have been reading my little blog 'cause the weather took a turn for better the past two days.

Sunday it was partly sunny and around 50F in Morgantown so I hopped in the car to take a scouting ride for the Morgantown Road Race course. Klara Hitchcock came over from Ohio to do the ride and some how I even talked Gunnar into going. I am guessing he wanted to make sure I didn't have some screwed up race course planned for the April event. I bet I am right. Anyways it sure was nice to be outside and have some friends along. Meanwhile in another part of Morgantown, around the same time, Gina was trying to get some wedding stuff done at the expo at Morgantown Mall. It's getting closer!





We started the ride at what we think is going to be the start/finish area up in Mount Morris. It was liberating to feel the wind and sun on my face. The first climb on Fort Martin road woke me real quick. Those hills just aren't that big when you are riding the trainer. Even though it was a little tough I could tell all the work the last few months had paid off. The rest of the ride went off with pretty much no issues. Gunnar and I talked about a hundred different options for the race and it's pretty settled at this point. For the people out there that want to know Gunnar's secret is frozen burritos. Most of get gels, power bars, etc. on rides but not the old man. He was literially eating a frozen burrito out on the ride. "It's thawed out now!", he said. Weird.. Betsy please come home..

Three hours later we found our selves back at the start with the sun still shining. Here is the GPS info from the ride.

The following day I had planned another road ride with Roger Lilly of Blackwater Bikes fame. I was super surprized that I had no sorness in my legs after my first real outside ride in 2009. Damn that sounds bad. Once again we headed off the mountain for warmer temps down in the valley. I have heard from others about these great farm country road rides towards Mount Storm, but had never gotten to experience them myself until now.

We parked next to a beautiful mountain trout stream with steep rock out cropings. KILLER! As we headed out the weather was once again perfect. 50 degrees and sunny is the best if you ask me. The first 12 miles of the ride was like one long hill repeat workout. Tall roller after tall roller.. The legs that didn't have any sorness in them really started to hurt towards the last few repeats.. Thank goodness the back to back to back rollers were over after the 12 miles.. After a lttle spinning my legs were back to normal and go to go..



Great ride, thanks Roger! In all it was a 2 1/2 hour ride at 37 miles. The roads were everything that I had heard about. No traffic, great surface and it was beautiful!! Anyone who wants to head out there and see for themselves just give me a shout. Here is the GPS info for this ride if ya want to peak.





Today it was back to the trainer and I really really missed the roads.. Tomorrow they are calling for 60F and rain.. I think I will deal with the rain and ride outside!

3 comments:

Joey and Mandi said...

Holy shit according to your GPS numbers you averaged 31 miles per hour on the first ride.

Maybe I should start riding my trainer more!

JOEY

Fat-Boy said...

oops! That was from driving the to find a race course.. It is updated, Thanks!

witch hobble said...

J.R.,

Holy crap. Found a link to your blog from the Whitegrass page.

Haven't seen ya in a million years. High water year of '96. Cheat Canyon.

Peace out and "wow wow".

Nick Mason