Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Ride That I Couldn't "Bear"!

So I kinda gave up on making posts about my rides but today's ride was a good one. My friend Robbie came over about 4:30 and said he had a perfect ride picked out for us. We jumped on our bikes and headed out from Davis and across the strip jobs towards Thomas. Once in Thomas it was a LONG fire road climb all the way to the fire tower out by Route 219. Ya, ya I know that all sounds kinda boring if you are just reading about it, but about 10 miles in the ride we saw a small Black Bear just sitting on the trail looking at us. We saw him, he saw us but no one moved. I really enjoyed that little moment. Robbie gave out a yell and the bear slowly went off into the woods. Now how cool was that I thought to myself. I once again started to get into a pace climbing the hill. It had been about a mile since I seen the bear but I couldn't get it out of mind. Then out of no where Robbie hit the brakes in front of me. Right in the middle of the trail was a second bear.. Crap I can't believe this I thought. This bear was about twice the size of the first and bolted when it saw us. WEIRD!!! Two bears, what are the odds. Needless to say Robbie and I could not stop talking about it. Not long later we made it to the fire tower. It was about 15 miles at this point and we where only half way.

The tower was really cool and in great shape. The cool thing about the tower is that your aloud to climb the stairs on the tower. Can you say 100 feet up!!! I was stunned that the forest service didn't have it locked up tight so people couldn't climb it and fall off. The ride back was along a section of trail that I had never road before. It was sweet. It has been years but looking at the trail you could tell that a lot of work had been done to these trails. We where flying down the trail when damn there was a bear in the trail. I SWEAR I AM NOT LYING!!!!! REALLY!!! I have seen 3 bear my whole life until today. I doubled that in one day. It is possible that the 3rd bear is the same one we saw the 1st or 2nd time but who knows. Robbie says the third was really small and he got a little worried cause he was afraid momma bear may be near by. I didn't disagree and we hammered out of there. What a cool night!!

Well it was almost a 30 mile mountain bike ride and my legs are toast! Here is the GPS of the ride if you want to see where we went. Take this ride is you want to see some bears.

The following is a reanactment of my ride!

A bear how cool!



Shit there is another bear, that is crazy



WTF!!! I am starting to worry!

1 comment:

Elvis said...

Holyshit JR, you wasn't kidding right?I want to ride with you sometime since you have the 'BEAR' luck.