Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Shenandoah 100, ain't nothing?! Try the Shenandoah 200!

This past weekend was a fun packed weekend that included 3 days, 300 miles, two states and one shower. Luckily for Gina she and the dogs were sick of traveling every weekend and decided to sit this one out. The weekend started off with the Dirty 30-30 and white trash river race in Romney, WV. The whole thing was centered around the birthday of Ms. Shara Decon. Happy Birthday Shara! I had planned on posting results from the river race but there was some shenanigan's going on and I protest these so called results.

The U.S.S. Cyr, ready for battle



Relaxing in Romney



Burger Time



There wasn't much time to stay in Romney because I was headed to the Shenandoah Mountain 100. Once I made it to Harrisonburg, VA I put up my tent and got to hang out with some friends that I don't get to see very often. That's what makes mountain biking and races so much fun for me. Yes I total love the exercise and the things I get to see on a ride but most of all for me it about the friends.
Meredith and Baby Kate from the Athens,OH crew



Marco & Aaron from the Athens. Good work boys



A few of the WVMBA regulars who raced the SM100



Betsy trying to see her time.



The race got under way at 6:30 am Gunnar and Benji got the holeshot and 500 other bikes trailed behind. I planned on trying to stay out in front of the leader to get some good photos for Cycling News but since I didn't pick up a map of the course I got lost. I did manage to come up behind Chris and Gunnar as they were climb up Soul Crusher. Why is it called soul crusher? It took me more then 30 minutes to climb up it in a car. I probably could have made it to the top in 15 - 20 minute but Gunnar was hogging the road.

Get out of the road Gunnar!!!!



Gunnar gives a nasty look as I pass him, then he realized it was me lol!!



It felt like I drove my car over 200 miles trying to watch the race. I got super lost but I got to see some of the best views that Western Virginia has to offer. To bad it was pretty cloudy all day cause it wasn't worth taking photos. After spending the entire day drive around in the car I was hopefully headed back towards the finish area. After about 20 more minutes of driving I found my way back at the camp ground. Thank goodness.

The rest of the event was spent eating, drinking and laughing with friends. I say it was one of the high points of the summer.

The Shogren's tired but happy. Betsy 3rd Women, Gunnar 1st Single Speed



Baby Kate after joining the WV Night Club



Betsy downing the bubbly



I take a bubbly bath



Chris ready to get on the podium. 2nd Single Speed. Nice work sir!