Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Davis to Elkins

I guess for the first post I should give at least a little back ground. First off I am the fattest (that I know of) director of WVMBA (West Virginia Mountain Bike Association) ever. I can pretty much guarantee that I am the only smoking one. Well I wasn't always this pleasantly plump, now around 250lbs. The goal by the start of next racing season is 205lbs so I can once again race (contend) in the clydesdale class..

OK that all pretty boring.. Today was a blast. I headed out for a ride from Davis,WV to Elkins, WV. In all it would be about a 37 mile ride. I must admit I was a little worried before I it the trail because in my shape that was a pretty long haul. It was also a route that I had never done before, but about 4 miles into the ride I road passed a waterfall in the blackwater canyon that I never knew was there. About a half a mile later another waterfall, then another and then another. In total I saw 5 waterfalls in the first 12 miles. I need to get one of those little pocket cameras that I can take with me on rides. My 12 pound Nikon D2X is to big and a little over kill.

The first 7 miles was old rail road grade that has grown up and looks like single track. Want to know the best part? It's all downhill. Really, all downhill. zoom-zoom-zoom. Next up was some black top rail-trail in parsons, WV for about 2 miles. Not really riding in my book but I guess it counts. After getting out of the major metro area that is Parsons (hey don't laugh they got a sheetz!) I had a 4 to 5 mile climb up the mountain. Note to self: Don't try to eat a cliff bar half up the mountain when your breathing if heavy. I would take a bit and have to try to chew it up and breath through my mouth at the same time. Every bit took like a minute to get down. Once at the top it was 5 miles all down hill again.. Thank goodness because at that point the legs were starting get a little tight. After the downhill it was on to the rail-trail once again for a 8 mile pedal pounding push into Elkins.. I legs were still ok but my ass had just about had enough.. I had to do a lot of standing in those last few miles just to give my butt a break for a bit. 3 hours and 30 minutes later I pulled in to the Riddle's driveway for one of my famous surprise visits. All was good though cause Joey was painting his garage that he is turning into a bike shop. I sure I must have made them sick though because the first thing I did when I got off the bike was smoke a cigurate.. I know!

The ride was sweet and I planon doing the first ten miles again soon with the camera.. 205lbs here I come!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

JR you make Cigurates and fat loog good!